Why is it that if one is infected with a strain of a cold virus, they have "a cold," but it they are infected with a strain of a flu virus, they have "the flu"?
i think it is b/c multiple viruses cause colds, but all flu cases are caused by strains of the influenza virus. hence THE flu and A cold. of course, there are thousands of influenza strains so it is still kinda semantics. you should start the new trend with THE cold.
I'm thinking of a Friends cold. You know, the one where Phoebe has her sexy voice, then loses her cold and the sexy voice, and then tries to catch Monica's cold. You know, because they're pretty common. =)
I'm sure there's some fancy MPH explanation for this issue of mine, too--I'm looking at you, Brooke--but I always find it odd looking at NBA basketball boxscores and seeing "flu-like symptoms" as opposed to just calling it "the flu." I'm sure there's a reason behind it; it just sounds wussy as it is. Like they've got the fake flu or something.
2 comments:
i think it is b/c multiple viruses cause colds, but all flu cases are caused by strains of the influenza virus. hence THE flu and A cold. of course, there are thousands of influenza strains so it is still kinda semantics. you should start the new trend with THE cold.
I'm thinking of a Friends cold. You know, the one where Phoebe has her sexy voice, then loses her cold and the sexy voice, and then tries to catch Monica's cold. You know, because they're pretty common. =)
I'm sure there's some fancy MPH explanation for this issue of mine, too--I'm looking at you, Brooke--but I always find it odd looking at NBA basketball boxscores and seeing "flu-like symptoms" as opposed to just calling it "the flu." I'm sure there's a reason behind it; it just sounds wussy as it is. Like they've got the fake flu or something.
Post a Comment