28 March 2008

Farewell

For some reason, this part of spring is the time when things die. I'm not sure why, since spring is supposed to be the time of rebirth and happiness and such, but... A couple of years ago, our family dog died on my birthday, and this morning, our family cat died.

Short tribute to a strangely wonderful cat:

She was super bizarre--no doubt about it. When she played, she played alone. She would tear around the house like the devil was chasing her. No one was actually chasing her, but she thought it was great. If she sat on anything, she had to be a bit higher--if there was a piece of paper sitting on the bed, she would settle down on top of it. It made sense when she did it on a pillow or something, but she would do it on things that actually were not squishy or gave her any height.

In the last year of her life, she started to get quite snuggly. She would sneak up in between my parents after they fell asleep and sleep up there. On Sunday, I was at my parents' house for Easter. We were watching a movie, and she laid down next to me (she was not one to climb into the lap of anyone but her parents, but she would lie close enough for you to pet her...) I spent the evening petting her and getting hair everywhere, but I'm glad I did now.

Thanks to our "little squeak" for so many funny years.