14 February 2008

Land of Nephi

For work this week, I've been commuting to Nephi each day.

Here are some things I've learned:

English is different in Nephi. It's mostly like the English I know, but has some startling differences. I have to work to not look shocked.

If it is windy/slightly snowy in Nephi, I-15 will be a nightmare. If you'd like to get on it, beware of huge semi truck which will completely disregard the zero-visibility conditions and slosh you with more snow and dirt on their way past.

No one commutes TO Nephi for work, so if you want to come south in the mornings, traffic will be excellent.

Everyone here knows everyone. This could explain why many of the employees down here are sure they know the perfect man for me.


Things I've Decided:

I hate commuting. I already knew that, but now I REALLY hate it. In fact, I may move CLOSER to work. Of course, the only way to do that would be to live in the basement of my office, but I think there's space.

No one retains the things I teach them. They were great last week, and this week, they've forgotten everything. I'm going to try to make peace with that.

I will never move to Nephi. There's no good reason. I used to think that living in Idaho would be bad, but Idaho is a far better choice. Pretty much anywhere in Idaho...

2 comments:

somebody's parents said...

When I was Bishop the most disconcerting thing was to discover that people didn't really want my opinion or for the most part, were they willing to follow my counsel.

So, take heart, it isn't that they just don't remember the stuff you teach them, most likely, they weren't interested in remembering it in the first place.

But we teach the ideal, the plan, the pattern. Then we help, guide and pick them up when they fall. But that is the life of a "Teacher".

More Bacon said...

It's true. Insanely frustrating, but they probably didn't want to know ever anyway...