05 July 2008

This is New

Just now, for the first time since I have decided to move, I had a big wave of apprehension sweep over me.

I was looking at a friend's pictures, and I saw one of her standing in her kitchen cooking, and all of the sudden, I was thinking, "what does my new kitchen look like again?"  It's a strange trigger, but it happened.  And then my thoughts started racing, thinking about my new apartment in its physical sense, but really thinking about all of the other things that go along with getting a new apartment.  New roommates, new ward, new neighbors, new friends, new life in so many ways.

Thinking about the living room, trying to remember what it looks like, I thought about the people inside.  Will I spend lots of time there?  Will people be coming over?  Why will they be there?  Will they want to borrow some eggs?  Will I HAVE eggs?  (This led to a whole new train of thought about how I haven't gone grocery shopping yet, but that's a post for another day.)

Afraid isn't the right word to describe how I'm feeling about moving.  I don't have the right word right now.  I'll work on it.  

At work, I often refer to my feelings about upcoming events as "cautiously optimistic."  This is my tricky way of getting out of talking about how I actually feel.

I think I'll go ahead and invoke that one here, too.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

How about anxious. Change is scary and hard but more often than not worth it in the end. Good luck.

LL said...

It will all work out. :-) You could use a little change, don't you think? Yes, yes you do, which is why you decided to move. See? You'll be fine. :-)