02 July 2008

And I Feel Fine

The world may be ending in August. I know, this is alarming, but I thought I should let you know so that you can make the appropriate preparations.

I have been reading about it for months, maybe years, but as the date approaches, the will-it-or-won't-it debate is getting more and more heated.

Now, I'm not feeling very concerned about it, but I certainly am delighted by all the turmoil surrounding it. Do I think we're capable of destroying our own planet? Absolutely. We're doing a pretty good job of doing it very slowly...but I don't think that we're at the point where we could do it instantaneously.

Still, it's an awfully funny topic and debate. I feel really sorry for the people who are seriously concerned that the world may be ending, as they are probably likely to develop ulcers during the next few weeks, but their passionate reasoning is just so fun to read! I shouldn't delight in their misery so much, but...what can I say? I'm kind of mean sometimes. :)

Here's an article that will explain what is happening:


http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider.ap/index.html



If you don't feel like reading the entire article, here is my favorite quote:

Critics of the LHC filed a lawsuit in a Hawaiian court in March seeking to block its startup, alleging that there was "a significant risk that ... operation of the Collider may have unintended consequences which could ultimately result in the destruction of our planet."

That would put a damper on my plans for the fall...

No comments: