05 July 2008

Huh

Today, I slept in for a substantial amount of time (hey--I deserve it!), but as I was lying in bed this morning, I could hear a fan running.  I assumed that one of my roommates was running the fan in the kitchen.

However, after I got up, I saw that it wasn't that fan.  It was LOUD though, and it sounded more like a fan in a bathroom, but the fans in the bathrooms were off.

I was totally mystified.  As I continued to get ready for the day, having given up on the fan mystery, I was walking down the hallway when I realized that the fan sound was quite loud there. I opened the laundry closet, thinking that perhaps the sound was really the dryer running.  Negative--both washer and dryer were resting comfortably.  I started to close the doors, and then became sure that the sound was coming from inside that closet.  Puzzled, I looked up at the ceiling and saw that there was a fan in there, similar to the ones in the bathrooms.  I looked around for a second and found a switch inside the closet and turned off the fan.  Peace at last.

Strange thing about this whole drama?  I've lived in this apartment for almost a year, and I've never noticed the fan on the ceiling or the switch on the wall.  How is that possible?

Even weirder is that, for a year before that, I lived in an identical apartment in this same complex.  Did it have a fan and switch too?  I always consider myself to be quite observant, but maybe not...

No comments: