24 August 2008

Queen of Awkward

I have had, over the past few weeks, a number of awkward conversations.  I am awkward by nature, always sticking my foot in my mouth.  At work, I generally am fine, but for some reason, I can't have any conversations lately outside of work that make any sense.

An example of a recent awkward conversation, which took place with a perfectly nice person:

Me: So, what are you up to this fall?
Him: Oh, I'm starting a master's program at BYU.
Me: Oh, master of what?  
(Nice phrasing, Liz...)
Him: Uh...master of public administration.
Me: (strangely excitedly, due to my interest in that program) Hey!  That's my favorite one!

Long pause...

A few other words are spoken, and the conversation ends.

Today, I bumped into a few ward members that I've met before.  Most of the conversations were fairly awkward, culminating with a choice exchange this evening.

Me: So...you're just sitting around, uh, enjoying...?  (Hmm...enjoying what, Liz?  The scenery?  Text messaging?  The stock market?  That sentence certainly needs an end...)
Him: I'm just a dollar waiting for a dime.
Me: Oh, huh. (Puzzled look...this is a phrase I've not heard before...I figure it means he's waiting for something, or someone...)
Him: Just waiting for everyone to be ready to go.
Long pause...
Me: (Attempted joking) Isn't that just the way it is?  Always waiting for people...
Him: Well, earlier today, they had to wait for me, so...
Me: Well, that sounds fair.
Long pause...
Me: Uh, well, have fun!

From now on, I think I'm just going to walk past people without stopping to talk.  Seems better for everyone.

No comments: