26 May 2012

Summer Adventure

Well, finals are over, and I'm officially a 3L. WOW!!

This summer, I'm working here in NYC for a big law firm. For the sake of privacy, and because it really doesn't matter, I'm not going to put the company's name here. From now on, we'll just call it Big Firm.

I started working at Big Firm this week, and I'm having a great time. My coworkers are all really wonderful. There are around a dozen other law students from around the country working there this summer as well. Big Firm is a really big law firm (hence the name) with offices around the world. Because I'm working at the NY office, I didn't have to move for the summer, and I'm just tickled pink by that.

This week, we had many orientation events, learned some software, ate some great food, got our offices, and started working.

So far, I'm working on some pretty interesting things. Big Firm, by virtue of being a big firm, has some awesome clients all around the world. I can't really talk about who they are, what they do, or what we do for them, but suffice it to say, I get to help attorneys working on matters for celebrities, politicians, and big companies who make or do the things we all use. It's pretty cool.

Big Firm has lots of attorneys who do all kinds of things, some of which you probably didn't know attorneys did. Big Firm has lots of litigators (what you normally think of as attorney work--people suing each other, being prosecuted, pro bono, etc.), as well as transactional attorneys (tax, trusts and estates, finance, mergers and acquisitions, employment, regulatory work, etc.). So as a summer associate, I get to work a little bit with lots of different attorneys doing lots of different things, which is really fun.

Big Firm, like many big firms, is in a big building here in Manhattan, with big, gorgeous offices. After the recruiter took me to my floor, introduced me to my assistant, and left me in my office, I looked around a bit and wondered how I got to be there.

However it happened, it's going to be a great summer.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds like lots of fun! All those interesting things that you can't talk about but get to experience. Enjoy!

Vernon said...

How exciting! Sounds like a book, young girl goes to NY and has the most fun time working at what she wants in nice office and earns money. Hope you learn many things and we are so proud of you! Love Grandma

Shari said...

I'm jealous. I'm happy for you, but mostly jealous.