The majority of the points in my capstone course (70%) come from a practical exam. It's basically like being judged on how well I've learned to play Monopoly. (Sadly, not well. It's much harder than Monopoly, and I am not as good at it as I would like to be...)
The person who scores the most points in the game (each of us plays individually against the computer, and then receives points based on our respective amazingness) gets 100% of the points, and everyone else is judged against them.
I'm headed in to take the exam on Friday. I had to take the day off of work to do it because it must be done in the testing center, which has pretty lousy hours in the summer. The teacher will take the best of my two attempts. Each attempt takes, on average, about 240 minutes. It'll probably take me all day Friday and all day Saturday to get through both attempts.
I'll be doing a lot of hoping and praying during the next few days. Feel free to join in.
Here's where the moral dilemma comes in: is it wrong to hope that everyone else does poorly? I don't want anyone to fail, but I really don't want anyone to achieve so many points that it becomes impossible for me to get a good score. Why can't we all just be mediocre together and all get A's?
I'd talk to each of the students in the course about it, but sadly, there are about 60 people in the course, and for scoring purposes, we're broken into two halves, and I don't remember who is in my half.
Interesting side note: my half met last night to begin the competition. Of the 27 people who were there, I was the only girl. There are always very few girls in any of my classes, and it appears that in this competition, I'm the only one.
24 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I will add you to my prayers
You don't have to hope they do poorly, just hope that you all do about the same. :-)
I hope you do great and most of them fail hard. that way you win! im sure im mean but, hey, im sure you would hope the same for me!
Liz you've always been such a smart cookie - I never doubted for a minute. Congrats on having it over with!!
What is the game called? Is it like an inner-circle outer-circle type game of investing? And what is your major called again?
Thanks, Adam.
The game is from a company called Capsim. You are basically running this little company, playing against either other students or the computer (in my case, it was against the computer for a score to be compared against other students). You make decisions about how much to produce, what to have in your factory, how much to charge, what specs your stuff will have, how much to spend on marketing and how to use it, and how to finance all of it. You play the game for 8 "years", and then you hope that you didn't totally fail.
It sounds way fun - I'll have to try it out. It's probably one of those games that costs inordinate amounts of money though, right?
And what is your major?
See how persistent I am in my questioning? :)
Sorry, Adam--I didn't mean to leave the question unanswered. My major is Business Management.
I'm not sure that you can play the game outside of it being organized by a teacher in a class. You have to join an already-created industry to play, and the teacher has to set the specifications.
That being said, yes, in addition to the tuition and fees which I paid this semester (which were A LOT), I had to pay another $80 or so for the game. Great investment, I know. If you're ever in town, I may be able to show it to you. Not sure how long I'll still be able to access it, but...
Post a Comment