04 May 2009

Seattle Picture of the Day

I don't really have time to run down the entire trip, but I'll post little snippets and pictures of it as time allows. Seattle was fabulous. The weather was gorgeous, the city was beautiful, and all of my plans worked out exactly as I hoped. Each of my well-researched choices turned out to be even better than I imagined, and I had a wonderful, wonderful weekend.

So here's your first little picture.


One of the things I did on my trip was to visit a few museums. This particular piece of art was in a huge outdoor park that was maybe a mile away from my hotel. I walked down and spent a bit of time walking around the art. There were some really interesting sculptures there, but one of my favorite parts was that there were signs all over the place telling you not to touch the sculptures. I found this in the museums I visited as well. There were signs everywhere: "Please do not touch the art."

I have no desire to touch the art. I understand that touching the art is inappropriate.

But when people put a sign out there and tell me not to touch the art, it makes me want to touch the art.

I resisted. I'm so grown up.

Here are a few more pictures from the sculpture garden:



I liked this one. All of the sculptures in this park are huge. This one is one of the smaller ones. It's probably my height. The waves in the first picture in the posting are really, really large. They're easily twice my height--probably closer to thrice my height. Completely fabulous.



This one is massive. You can see the people standing around it in this particular shot--that's why I picked it. I loved this park. In a lot of ways, it's like a regular park (grass, walking trail right by the water), but then there will just be this GIANT sculpture as you're walking along. So cool...


This one cracks me up. I cannot remember what it is supposed to be. I thought it was a wheel, but the little description said it was something else that surprised me. I'll have to look it up and get back to you. Anyway, I just love this one. The artist had deep meaning in it, but it just makes me smile. It's pretty big, too.

All in all, it was a very cool park. I had seen the park online before I went on my trip, but I had assumed that it was too out of the way in relation to the other places I was going. I ended up there by accident when I was just walking around one evening. I ended up walking over some hilly miles to get back to my hotel, but it was worth it.

7 comments:

bh said...

I love sculpture gardens! I am so jealous of your trip to Seattle...

I believe the last one is an old-time type-writer eraser wheel thing falling. The artist was inspired by memories of his father using a type-writer. There is a sculpture exactly like that in the Smithsonian sculpture garden in DC.

Shannon said...

I like the sculptures. Sounds like fun and exercise:)

Unknown said...

That last one looks an awful lot like the fiber-optic pizza slicer I use. Weird...

somebody's parents said...

It is a Typewritter eraser.

Two things are sad:
1. I knew what it was from experience.
2. I made so many mistakes typing that I would have benefited from having one that size.

More Bacon said...

You are all right--it is a typewritter eraser. I looked it up last night after I posted this, and I remembered why I didn't remember what it was--I've never seen a typewritter eraser. I used to use one sometimes at work, but I don't remember it having a part like that...

I thought it was a rollerblade wheel or a pizza cutter when I saw it, so I'm delighted that Matt is with me on the pizza-cutter thing.

If you want more information or want to visit this yourselves some day, it's the Olympic Sculpture Garden and is part of the Seattle Art Museum, aka SAM. You can google it to find out what all of the art is supposed to mean, if you're so inclined.

LL said...

Very very cool!

Adam Kynaston said...

Beautiful pictures Tita!!

So maybe I deserve the dunce cap, but I'm confused why people were horrified of your trip to Seattle. Am I missing the punch line?