18 May 2009

For My Relatives

Another set of Seattle pictures and stories...

On my last afternoon in Seattle, I went to the Smith Tower, which is a really tall building in the older part of Seattle. It's, uh...tall...and, well, old... The details escape me at the moment, but I think it's Seattle's first skyscraper.


Anyway, for a couple of bucks they'll take you up in an old-fashioned elevator to a floor with no offices, but just a big room called the Chinese room. It's really pretty and is often used for wedding receptions and such. Around each side of the room is an observation deck where you can go look out over the city.

The elevators:

I didn't take a picture when I was inside the elevator with the operator because I thought that he'd think it was weird, but it was pretty cool looking, and I've never been in an elevator that had to be operated by someone before. I guess it's the oldest set of elevators like it on the west coast. I thought it was neat.

Some views from the observation deck:

Looking Northwest...

Looking Northeast...you can see the Space Needle up the street a ways....

Looking Southeast...

There are lots more pictures looking all over the place, some with me in them, but I don't really know all of you so I'm going to skip the pictures of myself.

It was cloudy and drizzly that day. Interestingly enough, it was the only day I was there that it wasn't blue skies and sunny. Who would've thought? I had a fairly sunny trip. I loved this day though. So beautiful! There are all kinds of interesting buildings in Seattle and the Smith Tower had a great view of the city.

The Chinese Room is filled with beautiful, ornate carvings all over the walls and ceiling. One of the things in the room is a chair that is over 300 years old.


The chair is supposed to be blessed with great fortune. Any single woman who sits in it will be married within one year of sitting in the chair. I read the story and all of the letters that the Chinese Room has received touting the efficacy of the chair along with wedding announcements. I took a picture of the chair, and then I turned to leave. 

Suddenly, I thought of my relatives. My poor, long-suffering grandmother who has probably given up all hope that I'll ever wed was especially clear in my mind. People seem to think that I'm not trying hard enough to date and marry. So, with my extended family in my mind and heart, I walked over and sat in the chair.

Now no one can say that I'm not giving it 100%.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

You are so thoughtful Liz:) JK It sounds like you had fun and saw a lot of great stuff. I am glad you had fun and a break:)

LL said...

Guess I'll have to stop complaining...