Recently, on three separate occasions, I have seen a great deal for something that I wanted to purchase.
Once, I didn't make the purchase because I was so busy that I forgot until after the sale; on the other two, I hesitated because it was a larger purchase and I have commitment issues.
Now, all three things are much, much more expensive, and I am sad. Now, I'll probably wait for them to be cheaper again, and they won't be...but even if they are, will I just go ahead and make the purchases, or will I debate again?
Applicable poem of the day:
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying.
The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.
(part of an old Robert Herrick poem)
He's talking in this poem about something quite different from making purchases while things are on sale, but the idea remains the same: I'm not so good at gathering the rosebuds while I may. I need to work on that.
I quoted that poem to my old roommates the other day when I was teasing them.
It's funnier if you know what the poem is actually about, and especially if you know the title. Google it and read the whole thing. You'll like it. It'll be your cultural moment for the week.
10 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I do the same thing. I saw a table saw for $20 at a garage sale, debated for awhile and then decided to buy it, and just then someone else got it. I'm such a hoser. :-)
Down to the single digits. 9 days baby!
Post a Comment