22 July 2009

24

In 24 hours, I'll finish my undergraduate degree.

It's a very strange feeling, being so close to being done. Everyone is excited to share in my success, and I keep getting the same questions over and over, so I thought I'd make a list of FAQs about my upcoming victory for you.

Q: Could you BE any more excited?
A: Negative. I have reached 100% excitement. If I wasn't so very tired, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep tonight!

Q: Does this degree mean you get a big raise at work?
A: Negative. However, I still have a job, which is nice. And because I will no longer be paying for tuition, books, gas money for my commute to campus, etc., it'll be sort of like a raise!

Q: Are you quitting your job?
A: Negative. Have you seen the economy lately? I'm going to stay securely in a company where I have seniority, perks, and FABULOUS holidays! Certainly, I'll eventually do something else, but I can't imagine that'll be any time before 2010. So go ahead and stop taking bets about when I'm quitting--you'll know when I know.

Q: What are you most looking forward to?
A: It changes from day to day. Right now, I'm most looking forward to sleeping. I love the idea of coming home from work, cooking dinner, eating, relaxing, reading, and heading to bed early. What will that be like? I have no idea. But I can't wait to find out.

Q: What are you going to do with all that free time?
A: Well, since I work full time, it's not that much free time, but I intend to sleep a lot more, start in on my list of about a zillion books that I haven't had time to read, do some shopping and decorating for my apartment, go through some boxes from when I was a kid and get rid of most things, vacuum my carpet (that one should be pretty quick--just haven't had time lately), and who knows what else. I'm certainly entertaining any ideas. (Except for belly dancing--just not going to happen, people).

Q: Is your family excited?
A: Thrilled, delighted, and proud as can be. In fact, they're throwing me a little graduation shindig on the 1st of August. Let me know if you need an invite! :)

Q: Are you planning to go to graduate school?
A: I'm so exhausted, I can't imagine going to any additional school any time soon. Go ahead and stop making bets on that one, too.

Q: If you knew back when you started this degree what you know now, would you still do it?
A: Yes.

Q: Really? Don't you remember how unpleasant it has been? How tired you were? How much you hated it? How difficult it was to work at the same time? How expensive it was? Those angry teachers? Dysfunctional groups? Impossible assignments? All the crying?? Seriously??

A: Absolutely.

7 comments:

jenn said...

We are really excited for you, too!

LL said...

I am just bursting with pride and excitement! You are so awesome!

As for when you should quit your job, JC has opinions on that one. I think he's going to sit you down for a little lecture while we're there. :-)

Shannon said...

Yeah! You are so awesome. I am so excited for you!

LL said...

Less than 9 hours!!!!!!!!!

WAAAA-HOOOOOO!!!!!

LL said...

4 hours and 51 minutes!!!!!! GO LIZ!!!

LL said...

3 hours and 27 minutes!!!!!!!

YAY!

Lani said...

Congrats, Cous! I'm behind in the celebration! So happy for you though!