20 June 2008

Death Comes Softly

Somebody's Mother works at a teaching greenhouse. They help the students learn horticulture practices by growing plants, and then they sell them off to offset costs.

In the spring, they sell lots of springy flowers, and my favorite is the dahlia. Of course, my favorite is the pink dahlia. Every year, my mom gets me a dahlia. And, every year, I kill it.

Dahlias look like this:

This year, I took great care of it. I found it a nice, sunny place to live, gave it lots of water (but not too much). From day one, it's been looking bad. Lately, things have gotten worse, and when I went to water it today, this is what I found:




I'm not a plant expert, but I know that this is not a good sign. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my plant has spider mites. I do not know if there is a cure, or if they are contagious. I'm not worried that I'm going to catch them or anything, but I have a couple of other plants that were in the same window sill...

Not a fantastic start to my weekend.

2 comments:

IzeOfLight said...

Oh dear! I started a wee herb garden of my own, and that's what my oregano kind of looks like. The other herbs are doing fantastically, but I put different soil in the oregano pot (oops!) so it always *looked* damp, even when it wasn't (double oops!). Hopefully it will recover, like your little plant here. They are pretty when they look like they're . . . supposed to.

CS said...

oh Liz, I am so sorry! I got a daisy type plant, and one day last week i came home and it was all wilted. i panicked, and now it gets water every day and i put it in my window to get sun all the time. it perked up thankfully. but i can understand your predicament. i tend to kill my flowers by accident too!