07 April 2008

Parking

How I know it's spring: when I got home last night from my parents' house, there was a car parked in my spot. Long time blog readers will know that this is a source of frustration for me, but it had subsided during the winter as my spot is not super close to any of the buildings.

As I pulled up, the car's reverse lights were on. Delighted, I assumed that they were about to move, so I just sat there for a minute. Alas, the car did not move at all, so I parked in a visitor parking spot and carried a few of my things into my apartment so that I could walk past the car and see if there were people in it.

Indeed, there were people in the car, and they were "parking." That's right--not only did they choose to park in my spot, but they were actually just using it as a make-out venue. I took my things inside, wondering if I had just mis-interpreted what was happening in the offending car. I went back out to my car to get the rest of my things. At that point, I got a much better look at what was going on in the car, and it was definitely some serious smooching.

I went back inside with my things, planning to brush my teeth and such in hopes that they would just leave and I could move my car. If they would not leave, I knew I was going to have to have a very awkward conversation. Some of my potential ideas for talking to them:

"I know that this is a great "parking" spot, but could you, uh, "park" somewhere else?"

"I really don't want to get towed out of visitor parking, and I think that there are lots of spaces in parks, or up at Squaw Peak where you could park..."

"This is sort of a wholesome parking spot, where I like to park my car and do nothing else. Could you help me keep it that way?"

"I think that the mall is closed. I bet you could park there and, uh, have all the time you need."

"Get a room."

After some apprehension, I ventured back outside to have what held the potential to be the most awkward conversation in the history of time. Would I knock on the window? Just stand in front of the car and wait for them to notice me?

Fortunately, the car was gone, and I happily moved my wholesome car into its spot. I'm really glad I didn't have to have that conversation, but I am proud of myself that I was actually going to go out there and do it.

I'm also really glad that because of the nature of the activities, I couldn't see the occupants' faces very well, so even if one or more of them are people that live in my ward, I didn't know, so there isn't going to be an awkward conversation on Sunday.

5 comments:

somebody's parents said...

Maybe you could have just honked the horn. That usually gets their attention.

Or, maybe you just need a big flashlight to shine through the window.

Bre said...

sorry liz. It was me. I used the TG parking lot so my current ward wouldn't see me. hahaha JUST KIDDING!

IzeOfLight said...

This is so hilarious and so sad all at the same time! (and you had me going there for a sec, Bre!)

LL said...

nice... Only at BYU. :-)

Adam Kynaston said...

How shocking. I would have just gotten really close to their window and stared until they saw me.

Once I saw my buddy through his apartment window making out with his girlfriend on the couch. Having been extremely concerned for the boy's moral welfare in the past, I felt obligated to act. I found a nearby chair, sat outside his window and stared until they saw me. Awkward? I suppose, but perhaps not more awkward than him calling his mom to say his girlfriend was pregnant.

We are all saints in our own way :)