Well, we had a hurricane. At least, it started as a hurricane. Later it merged with another storm, and now its official name is "Superstorm Sandy."
I think it sounds like some sort of Pixar character, but, it is what it is.
I haven't had internet access for about a week now (construction related, not storm related) so I haven't had a chance to post. I have some pictures and other thoughts to post, but for now, I just wanted to say how grateful and blessed I am.
There was flooding a few blocks away from my apartment.
But my apartment didn't flood.
Many, many people lost power for many days, and some still don't have power.
But I didn't.
Many people lost heat.
But mine was only lost for a day.
People lost their homes.
But I'm safe and dry.
People lost their loved ones and their lives.
But all of my friends and family are accounted for.
My apartment is in the perfect location for a hurricane. I had no idea that was true--I didn't even think about hurricanes when I moved here.
I am warm, safe, and comfortable.
Today, I had to go to Brooklyn in the early morning for a law school thing. Miraculously, I caught a cab right away--there's a massive gasoline shortage, so cabs are stretched a bit thin. When it was time to come home, the subway service between Brooklyn and Manhattan had finally been restored, and I was able to take a wonderful trip back to my apartment. The whirring electric sound of the subway was so comforting.
I love this beautiful city and am so grateful to be so blessed here.
03 November 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am sooo grateful that you are doing safe and well.
Glad that you are safe and well, and that the subway was working again. I think everyone in the city knows they like and need the subway, but until it isn't working you don't realize how very, very, very much you need the subway. Even if you don't use it, you need other people to use it so they'll be out of your way. :-)
I hope you thank your Heavenly Father every night for leading you to your apartment. You are there through a series of many miracles. I am so pleased.
Post a Comment