05 August 2012

Flying By

Well, summer is sure flying by. I finished up my time with Big Firm, and now I'm having a little break before school starts up again. It's crazy to think this is going to be my last year of law school--how did that happen? It seems like yesterday I was floundering about, trying to figure out where to go to school, and now I'm getting ready to complete my last year there.

One part of summer that is NOT flying by is the heat. Oh, the heat. It's so, so very hot. And having to ride the subway around makes it much worse. Subway stations in NYC are usually super heated because of all the heat that comes up off the tracks as the trains move through the system. There are little timers in most stations that tell you how long it is until the next train comes. The summer heat makes me feel sad and distressed even if the train is only two minutes away. So this summer, I've tried to take the buses more, because while they're still air conditioned, I don't have to wait in a super-heated dungeon to get one. I've gotten a bit more familiar with some of the city by riding around in it above ground instead of whipping past below ground.

Of course, when winter comes, I'll be glad I travel by subway.

Now, I get to spend the next year trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. Job hunting, life planning, etc. It's exhausting, because I've already done this before. I had a life, and I left it to be a lawyer. And now that I'm almost a lawyer, it's time to get my life a bit more settled again. Hopefully it'll be easy and I can have at least a few settled years before I have to go through this all again.

One of the partners of Big Firm used to have a very successful career in medicine, before he found that too boring and decided he'd rather be a lawyer.

For the record, I'm not going to med school after all of this.

Although that would probably fly by, too.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! It does seem like the time has flown since you left for New York. That is exciting that you are almost done and even though it might seem like to much to have to settle your life again I bet that you will be glad to get to that point.

LL said...

Chickening out of med school, eh? Should have seen that coming...

Very happy and excited for you!!