11 August 2012

How I Spent My Summer "Vacation"

Like basically all law students, I spent my summer working. I was fortunate to get a position with Big Firm, and I kept a pretty good life there.

Here's what my usual day looked like:

9:30ish: roll into the office. (Note: NewYorkers, particularly in law firms, don't start the day very early. There are some people at Big Firm who are big morning people and roll in around 7, but they are not the norm. The people who sat near me were never there that early.)
Arrival to about 12:30: Work. What does work involve, you might wonder? On any day, I might be meeting with attorneys, researching law, reading, reading, and reading cases and statutes, writing up memoranda for attorneys, proofing work being submitted to court, accompanying an attorney to one of her court hearings, etc.
12:30 until 1:30 or 2:30 or whenever: Lunch with some attorneys
2:30 until around 7 or so: work some more. New York attorneys may not start their day early, but they also don't end it early. I was usually out of the office around 7 or 7:30, sometimes 8, never past 9:30.

Repeat the next day.

At least once a week, I'd have some kind of meeting or training, and another day during the week, I'd have some kind of social event where I could meet more people at Big Firm. We had a wonderful time.

So there it is--that's what I did this summer. It was a good life, and I'm ready now to head back to school and get more done. First though, I'll probably take a little nap.

2 comments:

LL said...

Our lives have gotten so different. I spent my summer bumming around the pool. :-)

Jenni said...

dang snap! I would say you deserve a nap. Or two.