28 October 2009

Netflix Suggestion

I love Netflix. It's one of the special things in my life that I just really enjoy. I have an easily-accessible, internet-based queue where I line up all of the DVDs I'd like Netflix to send to my house. The movies arrive, I enjoy them, and then I pop them back into the mailbox and wait impatiently for my next movie. It's a fabulous system that's worth every penny I spend on it.

Netflix is also open to giving suggestions. Each time I open up the website, I am greeted with several categories of movies that it thinks I'll enjoy, each filled with movie suggestions just for me. It's a very handy system, and quite intelligent, as well. For example, if I have rented and enjoyed both romance movies and comedies, it may create a category of "Romantic Comedy" movies for me to peruse.

Although it seems pretty awesome in theory, every now and again, I wonder what on earth I rented to create a category that it thinks will suit my desires.

Case in point: last night, when I brought up the Netflix page, I was greeted with a category I've never seen before. It's odd and incredibly specific.

"Sentimental Independent Dysfunctional-Family Movies"

Huh.

Are any of you readers Netflixers as well? What categories has it created for you? I'm thinking that the sky's the limit on this thing...

3 comments:

bh said...

netflix is my best friend. here are some categories i saw tonight:
1) Goofy Sitcoms Featuring a Strong Female Lead (i think this is based solely on my obsession with 30 Rock)
2) Emotional Foreign Movies Based on Real Life
3) Quirky Underdog Comedies

LL said...

Too funny!

Jenni said...

Here are ours right now:

- Musicals to watch instantly
- Movies starring Christian Bale
- Extreme Sports Compilations
- Emotional Dramas Featuring a Strong Female Lead

I wonder which are my catergories and which are Jake's!