As I embark on my penultimate semester, I have mixed feelings. Many students have mixed feelings as they near graduation. They are nervous for the future, sad to be leaving friends, excited for what is to come, worried about getting a job, etc.
My mixed feelings are very different. My feelings are a mixture of being happy about school being over and frustration that it's not over yet. That's all. I will not miss school. There are people who say that I just don't understand, that once I'm out in the professional world, I'll look back on my days in college and miss them.
Those people are incorrect. I am already in the professional world, having worked at my job for just over six years now. I'm ready for work to be the only thing I have to worry about for a while. Those people, incidentally, are the same who told me that I'd look back on high school and wish I could do it again. They were very wrong about that as well.
Over the last couple of weeks, I took a poll about what you all thought would happen this semester. The results:
Number of times Liz will walk to/into the wrong class:
Zero: 3 blog readers
1-3: 3 blog readers
7: 2 blog readers (who are you people? Do you think I'm that spatially/chronologically inept?)
Class that will be Liz's favorite:
Organizational Behavior: 1 blog reader
Fundamentals of Mediation and Negotiation: 2 blog readers
Contract Law: 2 blog readers
Leadership Process: 0 blog readers (do you people think that I have no leadership potential? Because I definitely do. There is always a BIG line of followers behind me at Coldstone.)
Executive Lecture Series: 0 blog readers (you are correct--this is not my favorite class)
Internship: 3 blog readers (These readers must know the secret--this class is me getting credit for work, which I would already be going to anyway)
I will probably fill in the details on what is happening in all of my classes, but here are the early results, in case any of you had money riding on it.
After two and a half weeks of classes, I am really enjoying my Organizational Behavior class. I really like the teacher, find the subject matter to be interesting, and that class ends at 8:00 pm, so I get home at a decent time. The internship has actually been a bit of a pain so far, in that there is a lot of paperwork and such required up front, but hopefully that will settle down and become simple and wonderful. The Executive Lecture Series is a giant logistical pain, but other than that will be fine.
I'll try to fill in the details on all of the classes over the next few weeks, but I make no guarantees. I'm busy.
And for anyone who is counting, I have gone to the wrong class (or started to go to the wrong class) exactly zero times so far. I use iCal to tell me when and where my classes are, so a little alert pops up on my iPhone with the name and location of the class. Without my iPhone, it would be more complicated...just another way that the iPhone has changed my life. Judge me all you want--I end up in the right places at the right times, and that's a beautiful thing.
In that same nerdy vein, I moved the "Graduation Countdown" to the top center of the blog so that everyone can see it every day and start getting excited.
That's your job, people. Start getting excited. You don't have a lot of jobs here, but that will be your job for the next 201 days. Don't let me down.
8 comments:
Liz, I am already so excited for you to graduate! Probably not as excited as you, but excited nonetheless. (I can't wait to be done with school either)
I have never looked back on high school with fondness. And the only reason why I miss college is cause I hate being across the nation from my family... So I agree with you. There comes a time when you're just ready to move on.
Oh, and I usually walked into the wrong class 1-2 times a semester (usually the right room, but the wrong time) It's hard to keep everything straight when you're always crammin your brain with book stuff. I could've used an iPhone.
Oh, I'm so excited, I'm already planning the party!
IPhone changes your life.
I bet you would have been in the right place at the right time anyway, but who wouldn't want to have an iPhone to help with the task.
Heck yes I'm excited for you! Especially if it means you'll have more time for more trips to California when you're done with school. =)
Also, I think I voted for OrgB! But the voting did take place a while ago, so I don't remember for sure. I know I liked the material a lot--I just had a really random, old guy as my teacher, so the class lacked for me because of his high, squeaky lectures peppered with random stories from when he was a mission president.
I am super excited for you Liz!!!! I think that I miss BYU in someways--good times!!! But, I don't want to go back. I like my life now!
I was one of the votes that you'd go to the wrong class 7 times. We're practically twins, and I was often at the wrong place and/or time. Once I got on the bus up to the MTC to go to work and then realized I was 2 HOURS EARLY, as I had not yet attended my physics class. Not smart enough to take the right bus = not smart enough to take physics. Dropped out. :-)
As for being excited, I am SO VERY excited. When is the actual graduation day, when you wear the hat and the outfit and sit and be bored for a million years?
That is awesome!! I'd be thinking the same as you, get it over with! Youre awesome, pre-congrats and much excitement vibes from me!! :)
Post a Comment