09 January 2009

The Eyes Have It

My eyes have been bugging me for a few days. This irritation is occurring shortly after my switch to new, expensive contacts that are supposed to be more comfortable for your eyes. I determined that I should take a couple of days off from wearing my contacts to give my eyes a break. Since I am very nearsighted (something like 20/400 vision, if anyone is counting), I have to wear my glasses.

This is okay, because my prescription hasn't changed lately so I have a few pairs.

More than once over the past two days of wearing the glasses, people have asked me if I got new glasses.

This seems weird to me, seeing as most of these people have never seen me wear glasses. Shouldn't the question be, "Did you get glasses?" instead of "Did you get NEW glasses?"

Only one person made the observation that I don't usually wear glasses. That person? My fabulous hair stylist, whom I only see three to four times per year. Every time I have her cut my hair, I decide that she is even more fabulous than I thought before.

But I digress--back to the eyes. I should probably see a doctor, but being very busy with work and school (go with it...there is a school posting in my head somewhere that you may get someday...don't be greedy...), I have no time to go to the doctor.

Instead, I turned to the next best option: the internet.

The website I used came up with twenty conditions that matched my symptoms (although I think that their code is imperfect, as it came up with a few diagnoses that were in conflict with some specific symptoms, but...).

Some of the options?
  • Eye injury (not probable--it is both eyes)
  • Corneal flash burns
  • Acute angle-closure glaucoma
  • Blepharitis
  • Iritis
  • Acute sinusitis
  • Allergic reaction
  • Diabetic eye disease
  • Corneal ulcer
  • Eye allergies
  • Broken eye socket (ew...)
  • Dry eyes (it's winter in Utah--everything is dry!)
  • Sleep deprivation. (I definitely have that...)
But my favorite diagnosis? Nearsightedness.

Nearsightedness. Huh.

3 comments:

somebody's parents said...

Well, now you know... Who would have thought you were nearsighted? Isn't the internet wonderful...

LL said...

Oh I hope hope hope it is blepharitis. :-) Corneal flash burns... Hee hee, you crack me up.

Lani said...

Hilarious. I love diagnosing myself on the internet. And, as a fellow VERY near-sighted soul, I feel your pain. Good luck!