20 October 2008

End Socialization

Somebody's Mother says that Sundays need to be my day to be social, since I'm swamped in work and school all of the other days this week.

Tonight, I attended Ward Prayer, which has become the social staple.  I go, I chat for a few minutes, and then leave.  Tonight's socialization led to one of the least pleasant conversations I've had since moving into the ward.  Amazingly enough, it happened because I was trying to talk to someone I hadn't really talked to before, because they were standing alone.  Apparently, they have heard me talk with others before (never really talked to them though) and had already formed an opinion of me which they proceeded to share.  I think they thought it was funny.  I didn't, and I shortly left.

Later, someone else passed judgement and mocked me for who I had been trying to get to know earlier at ward prayer.  I'm trying to make friends here.  I don't need any external discouragement.  I find plenty of that from myself, thanks.

Fortunately, I met my new neighbors, who are really nice.  I'll take that.  And another girl in the ward said that she thought we should get together some time and said she thought we're peas in a pod, which is probably at least fairly accurate.  Not sure when I would have time to get together with her until Christmas time, but I appreciate the sentiment.

So, tonight's summary: new neighbors?  Great.  Nice girl?  Great.  Insensitive others?  Not appreciated.

I don't have time for this stuff.  Project Socialization will have to be put on hold until further notice.

That will leave more time for Project Catch Up on TV.  Or homework.  Probably a bit of both.

3 comments:

IzeOfLight said...

I'm thinking some of those ward members are lame. If they don't get you? Or mock? Or tease? Yep, they're lame.

Project Socialization? Sounds like Project Christmas. And we all know how that turned out . . . Wait, are you a spy?

Glenn and Natalie said...

Social situations can be so akward...I think that is why I like tv shows like the office...I se other people in totally akward situations, associating with crazy people and I think, ok..I say inappropriate things but never THAT bad...or, I have been friends with someone who was weird but not THAT weird...so my life must be pretty normal. If you are going to socialize, you are going to spend a lot of time thinking...."what the heck was that person thinking?!" The truth? THey probably weren't!

LL said...

Stick to the pod and the peas therein. :-) Someone at church said that if we just expand our comfort zones we'll never have to leave them. I'm still chewin' on that one...