I've often referred to my awkward nature in conversation. However, this past week, I've heard two choice events that exceed any awkwardness that I have ever demonstrated.
Event #1: One of my coworkers is about 6 months pregnant. Last week, an employee from another office was coming in to take a certification. When he saw her, he said, "Whoa! You're HUGE!" One of the other certifiers turned to him and whispered, "You never say that." So true. He was back today to retake some items on his certification and greeted my pregnant coworker by saying, "Hey, fatty!" We told him he should never say this. He said, "What? She's pregnant. It's good that she's fat." I told him that she was getting to the point where she was getting quite uncomfortable and didn't need to be reminded that she was getting bigger. His reply was choice: "So, should I just say 'Hey, hope you're not too uncomfortable since you're getting so fat!' " Neat...
Event #2: This past weekend, my boss had a baby. Because pretty much every one of the 300 employees at the company knows us, there have been lots of people excited to talk about the baby and ask questions. Today, someone came in for a certification and asked about the baby. We told her how cute he was, and she said, "Wait, it's a boy? Last time I heard, it was a girl!" Not sure who she heard that from, but he has always been a boy, and we've known he was going to be a boy for 5 months and never were under the impression that he was a girl. Apparently, she was. The way she said it was classic though, like somehow, the baby had changed from girl to boy...
It's funny, because when he was born, the doc told his mom (my boss) that he was so cute that he was cute enough to be a girl. Awkward...
So I'm enjoying not being the most awkward person in the room...for now...
30 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My all-time favorite is still "Damn, you're huge." That guy was awkward... Plus I was only, like 6 months along. I wonder what he was thinking 2 months later...
What would life be like without all those fun awkward moments?
Being pregnant with twins has created more awkward conversations that I am ever thought possible. Someday I will laugh about it, right?
Someday the male species will learn to keep their mouths shut..or not:) That is pretty awkward.
Brady beat that one a few times with one of our neighbors when she was pregnant and I just kept thinking we have four haven't you learned anything yet! He actually felt pretty bad about it.
I don't see how he would think that "Hey Fatty" would be better than "You're huge." Lol...
I don't see why people need to comment on the size of pregnant women.
I wanted to say something like "at least i have an excuse, chubbs"... must have been the extra pregnant hormones, cause the me I know would never say something like that!!
Post a Comment