13 October 2007

My Sister

Today is my sister's 30th birthday. It's essentially impossible to explain how wonderful she is, but I thought I'd make a list of 10 wonderful things about her/having her as a sister, in no particular order. This list should not be considered the top ten, merely 10 wonderful things I'm thinking today.

1. We have a psychic connection. We make the same noises at the same time, say the exact same things in unison, and once, I was sticking out my tongue at her son, and she told him to stick his tongue out at me. She could not see me at the time and had absolutely no idea I was already sticking out my tongue.

2. She is gorgeous no matter what she wears or does. She says that she doesn't get all dressed up and do her hair or anything anymore because of her kids, but whenever I see her, I can't help but think that she's beautiful.

3. She has excellent taste in books/movies/tv. Or we have the same taste. Whatever. I think it's excellent, so then we can discuss those things together.

4. She is incredibly compassionate. She can always tell when people are feeling down or in need, and she helps them to feel better, usually without them knowing it!

5. We can comment on each other's anatomy and not have it be weird. Who else but your sister can compliment your new cute physique after you lose some weight?

6. She is an amazing mother. Her boys are so smart, so engaged, and so sweet, and I attirbute that to her.

7. She is an excellent listener. She lets me talk and talk and talk at her on a weekly basis, and she listens patiently as I explain how lame things are over and over. She gently advises me on how to be better, but not in a naggy or pushy way.

8. She is the funniest person I know. It's probably because we have the same sense of humor, but she and I laugh SO much when we're together. I can't get enough of her. We just laugh and laugh when we're together, and since we know each other so well, there's no weirdness or self-consciousness.

9. She is amazingly smart. We can talk about tv, movies, or guys, but then in the same conversation, we can discuss politics, economics, and legal issues. She is way, way smarter than most people I know, but she doesn't make anyone else around her feel stupid, even though she's probably smarter than most people.

10. She never gives up. She hasn't slept for two and a half years, but she still wakes up each day and takes care of her family. She's freezing cold, but she still gets out of her house. She has been bruised, broken, nearly killed, but never let it stop her. She does what is necessary, no matter how difficult. She is committed to all the things she starts, and although I would have given up 100 times if I had her life, she never quits.

Happy Birthday, LL. I'm so lucky that you're my sister. I love you!!!

6 comments:

LL said...

To all who have not met me yet, prepare to be disappointed. :-) I'm not nearly that cool. but thanks, Liz, for all the nice thoughts. You're pretty awesome yourself. :-) Love you!!

IzeOfLight said...

What a cool sister (that goes to both of you, really: one for being so cool, and one for recognizing the coolness)!

More Bacon said...

LOL. I'm pretty sure that anyone that I'm friends with would LOVE you, since they manage to tolerate/even appreciate me, and we're pretty much the same. You're just like, a more grown up, wiser, version of me. :)

LL said...

I don't know about more grown up or wiser. Older and saggier, sure.

jenn said...

As a sister who got to join your family, I love you both and think you definetely make my life better.

More Bacon said...

I'm sure glad you joined our family, Jenn!! We're quite fond of you... :)