08 October 2007

French it up!!

At the fancy wedding I attended this weekend, I decided I needed to learn how to speak French. French seems to be an important skill if you want to know what you're eating.

One thing that we ate was "free-range cornish game hens." The next line on the menu that described what we'd be eating said "Grand Mere" (in quotations) and then the next few lines described the stuffing that was in them.

I don't know what Grand Mere is. I would guess it's French. I asked my mom about it, without any context, and she said she thought that Grand Mere was grandmother. (Apparently, Grand Pere would be grandfather...)

So, is this a chicken like my grandmother makes? (It wasn't a chicken like MY grandmother makes, but is that what they were hinting at?) Or, perhaps, not only is this a free-range bird, but it has free-ranged for many, many years and is a grandmother chicken now, and is only killed and cooked for my pleasure after it has lived a happy life.

My sister-in-law speaks French. I should probably ask.

2 comments:

jenn said...

Grandmere is grandmother, but I have no idea how that refers to what you were eating. But yes, French does help when cooking and eating.

Bon Appetit

LL said...

I would imagine a grandmother chicken would be super tough. Texture-when-eating-wise. Perhaps emotionally and life-lesson-wise as well...