09 May 2007

More Bacon Explanation

I thought I'd do a quick blog history for those who are joining later in the game.

Once, when whining to my mother about everything, I'm sure, I was complaining how my sister lived so far away and that it was bad because she lives on Eastern time zone, and the only good times for me to call her are at night, but it's too late for her, so when would I ever talk to her, etc. My mom suggested that I could call her from work on a break (which I do) and that we could still email, and that I should start a blog and that then we'd be able to keep up with each other's lives. (Incidentally, when I finally did get around to starting the blog, I'm pretty sure that my mother didn't remember it was her idea. I should have taken all the credit. She would never have known.)

So, for a long time, the idea was mulling around that I needed to start a blog. Last November, I went to see a Barenaked Ladies concert with my brother and his wife, who was pregnant at the time (maybe like 5 months? Trying to do the math in my head...maybe 6 months...) Anyway, the opening band was this WEIRD guy. Not only could we hardly understand a word he said, but we were also pretty sure that it wouldn't have mattered anyway. The good part about his set was actually this STRANGE little song where he played like a synthesizer and all of these different sounds and words, and he was totally grooving to it. It was quite unusual. But one of the things the synthesizer would say was the sound of a young kid saying "More Bacon Than the Pan Can Handle."

We thought it was hilarious. We had NO idea what it was supposed to mean (although on occasion I have come up with different meanings for it in my mind) but we just thought it was the funniest thing. So it became a joke that when JJ was born, those would be his first words.

Not too long after that was when I decided to start my blog, and I needed a name, and that one just stuck.

So that's what Jenn was referencing, LL. You're not old at all. It's not a song that anyone would know, I imagine, and it probably never would be. But it was funny. You would have laughed.

2 comments:

LL said...

Well, I AM old. But I'm not TOO old. :-)

Another reason living far away sucks: I miss out on all of the new inside joke opportunities.

More Bacon said...

I know!!!!! That's why I have to come see you more often so that we can make tons of them!!! :)