It's the week of upfronts, which is when all of the big networks announce their fall schedules. (Clearly, it's problematic that my schedule includes monitoring of this, but nonetheless, it is upfront week.)
So, today was NBC's day, and they revealed their new schedule...however, they didn't pick up one of my favorite shows for another year: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is officially canceled. They'll burn off the episodes that they have already done and then it'll be over.
Studio 60 was funny and smart, and I think that's why it got canceled. People didn't really know what to make of it: comedy, drama, who knows what. But I'm not sure that something has to be super definable to be good. It was witty, sharp, and just thoroughly enjoyable.
Why is there no network willing to put on smart shows? Why must we all watch shows like Deal or No Deal? Not only is it not a smart show, but I'm pretty sure that it is actually making people dumber.
From now on, I'm not watching anything on TV until it has been going a few years. Then I'll rent the DVDs. That way, I get to skip the commercials and the heartache. (Yes, I have TV heartache. See my recent post if there is any doubt.)
15 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Bumming very, very hard. That show was hilarious!! You want a fun show, try Hustle. British, but not too much so. :-)
I really love Matthew Perry, so I'm double bummed about S60.
Hustle? What is that on, like BBC or something?
Yeah, me too...It's a dark day in TV land.
Um, I don't know. It is on CBC, which I now remember you don't get. And I think it is on AMC...hang on, I'm checking...yep. AMC. It is on Wednesdays (sometimes conflicts with Lost) but it also is on at, like, 145 in the morning another day. Watch it a couple of times, it is pretty funny and cool. The Office is totally growing on me, BTW. I'm not sure JC is into it, but I'm getting there. Have you seen Notes From the Underbelly? I thought it sounded funny, and so far I've seen 2 episodes and they both blew. I'm giving it one more shot and then I quit.
Now that summer is here, I'm pretty much out of shows. :-( Time to hit the library and get some movies...
Yeah, I love the Office. I would seriously have FREAKED out if it had been canceled too. Hmm...I'll have to look for Hustle.
LOL. Yeah, I have seen Notes. It has its funny moments, but it isn't solid enough. Most of the time it totally sucks, and I'm like, why am I watching this, and then every now and then I laugh really loud. Mostly at the Cooper character. She's so inappropriate and it makes me laugh. But I believe that it is not coming back...I think that it may be happening as a mid-season show, but maybe not. What is it on, ABC? Yeah, it'll probably be back midseason. They've got like, nothing. They're starting like 100 new shows in the fall, so they're bound to have many flops...
Yeah, nothing to watch this summer. I've started just going through the TiVo list of upcoming movies and recording lots of stuff that I always thought, huh, that could be good...and it usually isn't, so I just delete it, and I don't lose anything.
Liz I am totally envious of your Tivo. I might have to come over and "borrow" it for a while! Once you have something like that, there is no going back! I guess I will have to stick with my old fashioned tv!
Oh yeah, it's totally trouble once you get the TiVo. Once you go TiVo, you can never go back. It totally changes the way you watch TV. And it's wonderful. I could never go back.
Unfortunately Tivo changes the way I do everything in life. I'm so used to having the hop back button (jumps back, like, 10 seconds or something) that I can't listen to the radio or talk to people anymore. In sacrament meeting I'm always like, oh crap, I need the hop back button... It has ruined my ability to pay attention to anyth...oh look, a bug....
Me too! That ALWAYS happens when I get in the car and they're talking about something on the radio, and I'm like, what are they talking about, and I have the urge to click back, but I can't. Mom has said that she has the same thing happen to her in different arenas of her life too. So maybe it's not just TiVo, maybe it's a Seaver thing. Or a Seaver/TiVo thing...whatever it is, it can't be good.
Post a Comment