My last final was last Friday morning, and then I had a last project thing that took place during Monday, Tuesday, and today.
Now it's all over. YAY!
In some ways, it feels like I've always been in law school. In other ways, I can't believe I'm already done with my 1L year. I'm a 2L now! CRAZY! My sister is a big fan of the 2L year, as she likes to refer to it as the "LL year." It's true that I'm going to be participating in some stuff this coming year that she would definitely approve of, so it probably is pretty accurate to call it my LL year.
Now it's summer. You can tell because over the past few days, it has suddenly gotten really hot here. Wait, what? No spring? Yeah, we had just a couple of nice weeks, and now it's Hotsville here. (That's not really encouraging any of you to visit...hmmm...)
So, what are my big summer plans? Since you all have very appropriately not asked, or waited to ask until very recently, paying due deference to my busy, tumultuous schedule, I'll tell you! I have an internship here in the city, so I'll be starting that on June 6th. I'm very excited to be back in an office environment and doing some work that matters. Beyond working, I plan to read, relax, and see some things in New York that I just haven't gotten around to seeing yet (uh, Staten Island, anyone?).
Today, I went down to the New York Public Library (not the one with the lions...I went to a closer branch, but yes, I do occasionally go by the one with the lions, and yes, it's gorgeous) to present my ID and verification of residency so that I could get my library card! I was like an 8-year-old girl, bouncing with excitement for her first library card. The public library system here is massive, and anything they have can just be requested to show up at your local branch for pick up. So convenient! They literally have every book that I have on my gigantic list of books I want to read. When you're in law school, you don't really read for pleasure much because you spend all day reading for school. So whenever I hear or read about a book I want to read, I add it to my big list of books, hoping that some day I'll have a chance to read. After a semester of reading thousands of pages of dense text, I'm looking forward to making as big a dent in my gigantic list as possible.
My library also has a surprisingly cool option to check out books electronically and read them on your iPhone. You just do it all online, and then when your rental is over, the book just disappears and you don't even have to remember to return it! Not that it's hard to return books here, since there are a bazillion branches of the library and I can return my books to any branch, but...
(Bragging? Me?? Sure. There are some fantastic perks to living in a giant city. One is the library. Another is having anything you want delivered day or night. Jealous? Come visit me.)
I'm also hoping to get out of the city for a weekend or two this summer and maybe do some camping with some friends from church. It is so, so beautiful here, and I'm ready to explore!
At the end of the summer, I have a small break between my internship ending and school beginning, and I'm toying with the idea of flying to Utah for a quick visit. It's an expensive time to fly, but I will have a new nephew by then, and I sure do love my nephews...
All in all, I suspect it will be a fantastic couple of months, even if it is a bit of a sauna in this grand city.
25 May 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Whatev, my library is equally as awesome! I love doing electronic checkouts for audio books! So I can listen to books while cleaning/walking around/staring at a wall, etc.
I would want to visit without any cool library anyways! Maybe later this summer?
Even my tiny town library has electronic books and audio books and all that fun stuff...though it is new here:)
Sounds like a fun summer. Enjoy it!
Is one of those weekends of getting out coming down to D.C. to see your old roommate? Because it should be!
...and your nephews sure love you. Plus I'm needing a friend to join me at Cafe Rio, because I just don't think I can do it on my own with three. My treat of course. Just something to think about.:)
Yay--CONGRATS!
I also love "Jealous? Come visit me."
I will! Just don't know when . . .
Post a Comment