10 April 2011

Don't Ask

As a courtesy to people everywhere, I wanted to publish this quick list of things that you shouldn't ask people.

  • "So, do you have a job lined up yet?"
  • "Are you dating anyone special?"
  • (When someone is dating) "When are you two going to get married?"
  • (When people are married) "When are you going to finally have a baby?"
  • "How much does your job pay?"
  • "How much does your apartment cost?"
  • "What are your grades like?"
You guys have any other annoying questions to add to the list?

6 comments:

Tyler and Kimberly said...

I also agree that these questions shouldn't be asked. Nobody should know what my grades are like. :)

LL said...

"When are you due?"
"Wow, are you running a daycare?"
"Are you the oldest brother?" (Poor Javier...people always ask Andres this question.)
"Whose toot was that?" (Mauri just let a big one go, and then the question was asked and a full-on fight broke out about who the owner of the toot was...)

jenn said...

Don't ask a pregnant woman how she feels. Just assume she feels like an off balance cow.

LL said...

Oh, another one:

"What is the proper way to tell a pregnant woman that she is getting big? Because DAMN, you're huge!!"

A coworker actually said that to me - direct quote.

Emily said...

I agree with all the comments here... It's best just to not say anything to a pregnant women about her size, how she's feeling, how far along she is, or pregnancy in general ...just talk about the weather, or some other unrelated subject!

I also like that when people see me with three (almost 4 kids) ages 4 and under, they ask, "Were these all planned?"

Why do people feel the need to ask such prying personal questions?

It seems that people don't know that they need to be sensitive to someone in a particular situation, unless they've been in their shoes. I suppose that were're all bound to say or ask something totally inappropriate once in while, right?

jill kynaston said...

I think my brain has been fried by having too many children too fast. I no longer claim to be tactful at all. Yesterday at the Easter egg hunt I said to my friend Heidi, "Wow! You are looking SOOO pregnant!" Doh!