02 April 2011

Cool

One weird thing about being a law student is that you start to become really uncool. In conversations with my mom, for example, I've been known to say things like, "So I'm reading along, and then Justice Scalia quotes Justice Brennan and talks about how much he likes Brennan's decision, and my head exploded."

Not cool or interesting to anyone but law students...but that doesn't stop us. Here are some funny things that my professors have said this semester that probably aren't funny to you, just for more examples:
  • The Framers, famous for their foresight, failed to plan for the invention of the airplane. Huge hole in the document…
  • Wait, Mr. Justice, you’re a strict textualist!
  • Mistake? A HUGE mistake! But not a legal mistake.
  • You never have to guess. You can always read the statute! In this class, and in life.
  • Unfortunately, you have to learn something every day you come to criminal law class, whether you like it or not.
  • Of course, it was supposed to be a government of enumerated powers, but maybe that just didn't work out.
  • Your client is going to be a man named Edward Scissorhands. And as you might guess from his name, he has scissor hands.
See? Not that funny to you. But we laugh and laugh and laugh.

We're all pretty lame.

I'm not sure I'll ever be cool again.

Then again, I wasn't really cool before, so it's not a huge loss.

No comments: