18 February 2011

Wisdom

The other day after class, I was sitting in the classroom to finish dealing with some emails, and although the classroom was mostly cleared out, a few students lingered, and I overheard a lot of conversation. One group of students engaged in a very interesting discussion about drinking.

I won't bore you with the details, but the gist of the conversation was that you're not an alcoholic unless you drink alone.

There was then some debate about what it meant to drink alone, but the ultimate result was that if you're home in your apartment drinking by yourself, then you're drinking alone. But if you go to a bar to drink, as long as there are other people there, even if you don't interact with them, that's not drinking alone.

That was the definition they all decided on.

Uh.....

Yeah, because alcoholics don't go to bars by themselves to drink...

A few minutes later, there was another conversation among some other students about weed. One of them remarked that although weed had bad psychological effects, it actually only had healthy effects on your body. He was adamant about it, further explaining that weed damages your brain cells, but doesn't actually harm your body. Everyone in the group was totally on board.

Yeah, because your brain isn't part of your body.

And also, it's not good for your body, but whatever...

Wow.

Just, wow.

6 comments:

somebody's parents said...

Obviously their brains are not connected with their bodies...

Bre said...

and they're law students......wow.

Jenni said...

wow indeed!

Justification anyone?

LL said...

I was gonna say wow, but that one is taken. Hmmm. I'll go with yikes.

I'll bet you can guess what they're up to this weekend!

Karry Seaver said...

I had an uncle who was a recovering alcoholic, he found it easier to stay on the wagon if he smoked pot daily. He died of lung cancer - I think his children are probably grateful to the "Mary Jane" that kept him healthy for all those years. Or not?

Shannon said...

I'll go with the wow too. I will also add that it goes to show that all the education in the world does not mean that you are wise:)