For some reason, some people out here think that Utah is in the midwest. It is not. It's in the West, people. Not too long ago, I was talking to someone from the midwest, and we were talking about the states there, and he was in total agreement about which states are midwestern...but then, he unveiled a category that I really haven't thought much about before. He said that Nebraska isn't in the mid-west; apparently, it's a plains state.
Later, I was talking to someone else about this funny distinction. She said that she thought of Nebraska and Kansas as being in the mid-west, but as she thought through it, she said she didn't think of Oklahoma as being in the midwest.
Me: So where do you put Oklahoma?
Her: I don't. I don't think about Oklahoma.
So true.
7 comments:
Oklahoma is southern. At least in the South we consider it one of us:)
I totally thought it went with the South, too, once I thought about it.
Ha ha! Laughed out loud, and then started coughing uncontrollably, thank you very much for that!
I once convinced someone that Utah was in the Midwest and we were in imminent danger of tornadoes during tornado season. Hee hee...how mean of me, but it was so funny!
When we moved to Michigan I thought we were moving to the East. Imagine my surprise to find out that I was living in the Midwest. WHAT?
So now, speaking as a Midwesterner, I'd also have to say the Dakotas aren't in the Midwest. I don't know where that leaves them. Middle of nowhere, I guess. :-)
I agree with LL - why is MI considered Midwest? If you were to fold the US in half - it would totally be on the eastern side.
Of course today I forgot which coast is the Atlantic - so I don't think I'm real qualified to critique geography. (For the record - I'm blaming pregnancy hormones for the brain fart).
I've lived in a plains state and it is definitely a plain state. You'd be amazed at the distinctions people from different states make.
Oklahoma is so not in The South. I've lived in The South for 17 years & I've never heard anyone include Oklahoma. It is firmly in the Midwest - it is just below, Kansas, people! Here is an easy way to identify if a state is part of The South: was it part of the CSA? No? Then it is not part of The South. End of story.
Okay so I looked it up. Consider me OCD. Oklahoma is in modern times considered part of the South. In historic times it was not. Though they did join the CSA as an Indian territory later on they were not officially part of it at the start. Anyway:)
Post a Comment