28 December 2010

True or False in NYC: Footwear

In movies and on television, characters living in New York City wear extremely impractical shoes. Even though they walk long distances, ride subways, and trudge through puddle-filled streets, the footwear is often pointy, delicate, and inordinately expensive.

So, True or False: New Yorkers wear shoes that completely do not fit their lifestyles.

This one is much more true than you'd expect. Although there are some people like me who wear tennis shoes and other comfortable walking shoes around the city, there are a lot of people who wear footwear that shocks me. Tiny, high heels, open toes, even in bad weather. When I have to walk a long distance but need to be in dress shoes, I wear practical shoes, carry the dress shoes and wait to put them on until I reach my final destination.  Living in the city requires navigating staircases, slippery walkways, puddles, running to catch a train, etc., but this doesn't stop people from wearing shoes that make these activities impractical, if not impossible. New Yorkers are fearless though. Really, the only exception to this pattern is when it rains. If the day calls for rain, you'll find all New Yorkers in rain boots. I had to buy some, as I am from a land with very limited precipitation. But basically, people just wear whatever they think looks good, whether or not it's logical.

So, next time you're watching some show with fashionable people living in Manhattan, wearing silly, impractical shoes, and you're tempted to think, "No one would wear those there," think again!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Personally I think people are nuts! I prefer shoes that are comfortable and practical. Actually to be totally honest I would say I prefer no shoes:)

LL said...

Wow. I don't even OWN a pair of impractical shoes...

somebody's mother said...

I always see lots of mind-boggling shoes when I visit NYC.

I recently went on a shoe-buying spree; very out of character for me. I guess I wouldn't make a very good Manhattanite because all three pairs were warm, practical and weatherproof.

with all the snow shoveling we've been doing, my favorite pair of shoes is the pair that I got at Walmart last year- tall, clunky, lace-up waterproof style boots that look like they belong to a duck hunter.

Given the last few days, I'd have to say that even my favorite practical athletic shoes would not be practical for NYC.

Tyler and Kimberly said...

This is so strange to me. Why do women do this to themselves? I will never understand it. I am all about the comfortable shoe. I hope you're having a great holiday! I miss you friend!

jill kynaston said...

I once read something that said, "why do women think their feet should be down hill skiing when the rest of their body is walking on nice even ground?" I own black flats for church and running shoes. Period.