True or False: New Yorkers are VERY passionate about their sports teams. You should steer clear of making negative remarks about any professional sports team from the city, as you never know which ones the people you are with support.
True. Oh, so true.
The only sports team in NYC that you can feel secure in making jokes about is the Knicks. Man, the Knicks are bad. Everyone knows it. Bad, bad, bad. Lots of people bought season tickets for this season of the Knicks in hopes that LeBron James was going to come play here, and that the tickets would then be worth a nice chunk of money in the resale market.
Negative. It still cracks me up that they thought he would come play here, for the KNICKS, but whatever.
Other than the Knicks, you can't make a remark about any other team. Joke about the Yankees? Heaven help you. Think it would be safer to joke about the Mets? Probably not. You never know who you are with.
It's not even safe to make disparaging jokes about other teams in the general area. I live very, very near an establishment that caters to those who support/worship the Boston teams, so no Red Sox jokes here. Or only very, very quiet ones.
New Yorkers are all very loyal to their specific sports teams, but not the other ones. Mets fans hate the Yankees, Giants fans hate the Jets, etc.
And everyone hates the Knicks.
16 October 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Took me awhile when we moved here to figure out what all the different sports teams were. Guess I'm just not that sporty.
PS, you look weird. I feel like I am trying a new brand of bacon. Change is hard......
Yeah, I don't love it, either. I decided it was time for a change, so I picked this one out, seeing as it's autumn and this seemed appropriate, but it's just not doing it for me. I may try a few other things before I give up. I'm just a girl with a boring blog background by nature.
Same thing happens with my clothing. Just ask the people at school, who I think are constantly amazed that I own the same shirt in so many colors.
Boring is relative. Your unique way of putting your shared tidbits are never boring and that is what blogs are for anyway. You always make me smile just by the things you say.
Clothes smothes...plus that is just opinion anyway:)
I have the same problem with people from my work. Most of my team is located in Boston. So, they are terribly interested in Boston sports. But I got them - they were all excited about the Red Sox and were all bubbling about them.
They asked me what I thought. I said, "I don't really follow swimming or whatever".
They don't waste my time with sports discussions anymore...
Hmm. I miss the old background.
Post a Comment