30 September 2010

The Price is Wrong

Thing you don't know about living in Manhattan:

After you've lived in Manhattan for even six weeks, you'll no longer be able to successfully play along at home with The Price is Right.

I no longer have a good sense for the price of groceries.

I didn't watch for too long, because it starts to get depressing when you realize that you overpay for basically everything.

Fortunately, then I went to Costco, where the prices are just like they are in Utah. I bought a gallon of milk and then hauled it to the bus stop to get it back home. I must have passed at least ten different, closer grocery stores on my way to and from, but I only paid $2.39, and I couldn't have been happier about it.

7 comments:

somebody's parents said...

How much did you save on a gallon of milk?

No wonder the city won't let Walmart in and the put costco as far away as they could.

There is a price to pay for living in a city of little neighborhoods.

LL said...

You certainly do pay for the cute little shops and staying away from the big box chains.

I did hear that Target has just opened up somewhere in NYC...

More Bacon said...

Yeah, LL, the Target is actually directly above the Costco. It's the biggest shopping center of its type that I've seen out here. It's not a Super Target though, just a regular Target, so not too helpful with the groceries.

And Dad, on the savings question, I usually pay about that much for a half gallon at any of the local grocery stores, so it's worth it. I needed some other Costco things as well, so it was a good trip.

LL said...

Interesting question: what are you doing home when The Price is Right is on???

More Bacon said...

It was a Jewish holiday this week again, so I was home Thursday and Friday. It was cold and rainy, so I spent a lot of time inside besides quick trips to Costco and a couple of other stores.

I don't usually watch The Price is Right because I'm not here. It's a good thing, because I'll never be good at it again.

I don't actually watch any TV before school. Some of the girls in my class were talking about watching the Today show while they got ready each morning, and all I could think was, you take long enough to get ready that there's a point in watching TV? I get ready as quickly as humanly possible so that I can sleep as long as humanly possible.

I do still watch Jeopardy sometimes while I'm eating dinner (it's on at 7 pm). I still rock Jeopardy, most of the time.

Good to still have a game show I can play along with at home.

Jenni said...

Yea for Jewish holidays!

somebody's mother said...

Got a great price on milk, and - you got some exercise!