27 March 2010

Where was Liz - Portland

Well, we had some pretty good guesses on the last picture, and the correct answer is Portland, Oregon. I spent just a couple of days in Portland, but I really enjoyed it. Here are some quick pictures and anecdotes about the Portland experience.

I did a lot of walking in Portland. I like to walk, and the weather was fabulous while I was there. One thing that Google Maps does not tell you, however, is how hilly your walk might be. My first walk in Portland was basically straight uphill. I walked about three miles from my hotel, and about two of those miles were straight up. However, when I arrived, it was well worth the walk. I went to a giant park that had many smaller sub-parks. I was exhausted when I arrived, but I started my walk around the park. The first sight: Historic Reservoir 3. I really have no more words for that one, so here's a picture.



The stairs were fine, in case you wondered.

My next stop in the park was the Japanese Garden. It was very tranquil and beautiful, even though it was still a bit chilly. From the park, it's easy to forget that you're in the middle of a giant city, and the Japanese Garden is even more quiet and secluded. There is one spot with an extraordinary view of Mt. Hood, although I had to walk past that spot twice before I saw the mountain. In my defense, it is big and impressive, but it fits behind a tree. I'm from a land where mountains don't fit behind trees. Here are some of the many, many pictures I took at the Japanese Garden.





Later, I was looking at a map as I planned out the best trains to take to get to my next destination, and lo and behold, there is a Happy Valley out there, too.


When I got to the city center, I found this great sign that helped me get my bearings.


The law school I was touring in Portland wins the award for the most beautiful school I've seen so far, as it is literally on the edge of an incredible state park. Some pictures of the school:




Don't rush them--it's their park, too.


And back in downtown Portland, I thought I should take a picture of one of the giant bridges that go over the Willamette River.


And here's a close up of a sign on it that cracked me up. It's telling me to not trespass. Do they think that I am going to swim out there and somehow Spiderman my way up? You can see from the boat in the picture just how giant the bridge is and how implausible that feat would be for me, or anyone for that matter. There may be a way down off the top of the bridge, but then why is the sign over there on the side? The world may never know...


In summary, I loved Portland and had a wonderful time there. It's a beautiful city with friendly, quirky people, and a wonderful climate.

However, don't read anything into that. I still have made no decision about where I'll be next fall. I told you that I'll have more information for you all on May 1st, and I still will.

1 comment:

jenn said...

Portland looks amazing, your pictures make me want to go visit.