It's a tough question indeed. The woman in HR who enters employee records is very meticulous. I've never seen her spell an employee's name incorrectly in the official records.
On the other hand, the employee who wrote her name on the form should be able to spell it correctly, as she has been spelling it for 20 years, give or take.
As my boss and I discussed the error in spelling, we finally decided that it was the employee who had spelled her own name incorrectly on the form. She seemed to blend her first name back into her last name, and since we've seen her write it differently in the past, we decided that she had, in fact, misspelled her own name on this occasion.
I giggled about that last night, and then I realized that the employee in question would not know that she had done it. There would be no point in mentioning it to her.
This truth makes it entirely possible that I've done the same thing in the past and no one has bothered to mention it to me.
Awkward to spell something wrong. REALLY awkward to spell one's own name wrong.
I'm going to have to start paying attention when I write my name down.
6 comments:
I am sooooo bad at spelling - I am positive that there are official documents lingering out there with some form of Jenifer or Jennfer! My only consolation is that lots of smart people can't spell (right?) I like this quote:
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."
- Mark Twain
Feel free to spell your name correctly. HOWEVER, you may also feel free to misspell or typo any internet retailer's domain name incorrectly, especially if they're clients of ours. =)
I love spell check because spelling is not my strong point. Oh well, I am pretty sure that I have never misspelled my own first name. My signature however is often just a blur....too many years of trying to write one handed with a child in the other:)
I'm a horrible speller and I regularly spell my name wrong. All those L's and E's and I just get to looping and lose control of the situation. Problem solved now - I just sign L R and then a big scribble. Which is how I got in trouble with a Walmart cashier, but that is neither here nor there.
Ding! Microwave...my TV dinner is ready. Look at me, living large...
So distracted by my dinner that I failed to finish my comment.
Your name is Liz. That is 3 letters. How wrong can it go? :-)
I have spelled my name wrong many times. The kicker? I was looking at my birth certificate (recently)and realized that my middle name was spelled differently than the way I have spelled it for 29 years. I had to call my parents and ask them which way was correct! Seriously--I can't spell anything! And...I love Jenni's quote! I don't like to think of me as spelling thingss incorrectly--I spell creativly!
Post a Comment