I was looking at weather.com today to see the forecast for the next few days. I was surprised to see that, for my zip code, there is a 40% chance of precipitation today. But it just rained. A lot.
So why is it only 40%? Why doesn't someone go in there and type 100% since it already happened? It must be more complicated than a simple person like me can understand...
25 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My favorite is when they show the doppler map and say, "there is no precipitation in the area" when in fact it's pouring outside my window. I always want to call them up and correct them. If I had their phone number, I probably would.
I know! The next day, when I looked on the website about the previous day's weather, it said there had been zero rain. And I was like, um...I beg to differ. I got very wet. :)
I, on the other hand, have complete faith in the weather man. It was pouring rain outside today but according to the weather man, it never happened. I am sure that the rain and hail that pelted me in the head were simply a figment of my imagination! All their fancy equipment can't be wrong, can it?
You can get it reported for your zipcode, but I think it is actually predicted on a larger scale. When they say 40% that means that 40% of the weather reporting stations in the area will report rain, not that there is actually a 40% chance of rain. That would only be true if the reporting stations were distributed in such a way that...holy crap, I'm lame...
Post a Comment