31 January 2013

Not Our First Rodeo

A big part of law school is being called on by the professor all the time. ALL THE TIME. It's part of what's called the Socratic method, and while some professors seem to only utilize it to belittle people, many of them are very good at it. It is a weird, weird way to learn, but you get used to it.

My third year of law school started a couple of weeks ago. This means I have been subject to this interrogation/questioning/whatever you want to call it many times. You go into every class not knowing if you'll be called upon, and if you are, well, good luck to you. Although I don't love it, I've gotten used to it.

All of my classes are comprised of a mix between second- and third-year law students; I know many of the third-year students just from having spent our three years together.

The other day in one of my classes, the professor called on one of my third-year colleagues.

His response: "I wasn't raising my hand."
The Professor: "Yes, but I'm calling on you anyway."

For some reason, I almost laughed out loud. I've never heard anyone say that in a law school class before. Of course you weren't raising your hand -- that's how this game goes!

In many ways, it's crazy to think that this is my last semester of law school. It's very exciting, and only a tiny bittersweet. We'll see if that changes at all in the next couple of months, but so far, things are going very well this semester.

1 comment:

LL said...

I didn't raise me hand.....nice. :-)

The boys are all excited about it. They keep asking when you're going to be a lawyer. And then they ask what a lawyer is...