In any event, as an unpaid, non-professional blogger, I feel totally fine making fun of weird sentences and headlines in the commercial media. I know I'm not perfect, but some of these people need to try a bit harder
Here are some of my favorites I've seen lately:
- Headline: Men who have cancer more likely to die from it (Ed.: uh, yeah, men who have cancer are lots more likely to die from it...than men who don't...pretty sure we're missing something here.)
- A line from an article: Brunch said it's remarkable that Berger survived--at least more than half of people whose hearts stop die. (Ed.: Really? At least more than half of them??)
- A line from another article: The Disaster Preparedness Commission met biannually some years, but there are gaps in which there is no record of a meeting. (Ed.: Please, google "biannually.")
Is it just me? Has law school made me too critical in my reading? Or do we just have a lot of sloppy professional writing on our hands?
3 comments:
Well... so the last one is English's fault. Biannual can mean either every other year or twice a year. Likewise ambiguous is biweekly.
Dictionaries will probably disagree. It looks like they came up with semiannual and biennial to be more specific.
I have no problem simultaneously blaming the author AND English for that one. It has become so used both ways that it's hopelessly mysterious. I think people should use alternatives to be clear.
But I'm picky that way.
Makes me CRAZY when I find things like that on NPR or CNN...feel free to read through it before you post, hosers!
Post a Comment