So here we are, folks. After thousands of miles and travel, I have selected one woman as the craziest person I met. Here, by popular request, is that story.
********************************
When I was staying with my friend Laura in California, I got to meet many nice people. Laura is a wonderful hostess, and she always tried to note some commonality between me and the person to whom she was introducing me so that we had something nice for conversation. In this special case, it did not go well...not well at all. We'll refer to this special woman as Jane.
Laura: Liz is out here looking at law schools. (Note: Laura is being a sweetheart to mention this, because Jane's husband is a lawyer and her daughter is currently in law school).
Jane: Oh, really? Where are you looking?
Me: Well, I'm here to see UC Irvine.
Jane: (disgusted) Why would you want to go there?
Me: (nervous chuckle) Well, I suppose that's what I'll find out tomorrow!
Jane: (still inappropriately disgusted) Ugh, all those Asians.
Me: (stunned silence)
Jane: How are YOU ever going to compete with all those Asians?
Me: (still totally shocked, blurting out the first thing I can think) I am really, really smart.
Jane: (patronizing chuckle) Or really, really stupid.
5 comments:
Such a great story. I love that you were quick enough on your feet to come up with such a great comeback. I've thought of it several times this past week.
oh my. i hope laura introduces me to this person when i go visit her someday.
Liz, you captured the moment perfectly! Equal parts hilarity, awkwardness, and crazy. And like I've told you tons of times already, you had the PERFECT response!
Brooke, totally. We told Mom the story, and then Wendy the story, and they both GOT it because they knew "Jane". She was that lady growing up who always had a complaint about something or someone, y'know?
Wow! People always amaze me. At least you stayed on your toes and got a good story out of it:) You are awesome Liz!
Liz this is one of the funniest stories I've ever read in my life. Back to back hilariously awkward highlights. LOVE IT.
Jill and I are so extremely excited for you :) We anxiously await the decision!!!!
Post a Comment