25 February 2009

Somebody's Birthday

Today is somebody's mother's birthday.

As I was thinking about her birthday last night, I was caught up in all that she does and is, and I was overwhelmed by emotion. It's difficult to describe how wonderful she is. I suppose that most people think that they have the perfect or best mother, but I suspect that there's no cookie-cutter best. I have always felt like somebody's mother was just perfect for me.

Over the past six months or so, somebody's mother has been an invaluable support as I work through my most challenging semesters of school. I have never been so overwhelmed or discouraged by school, but my mother and father have both been there for me throughout it all.

During the past six weeks, our family has had significant challenges, and I am just awed by somebody's mother's ability to handle it all. In addition to all of the things she does, she manages to still be an amazing support and guide for me.

I am blessed with a wonderful relationship with my mother. I feel so lucky to have her. She really is just perfect for me--exactly the mother I need, and a fabulous friend.

So Happy Birthday to somebody's mother. I hope that the next year is easier and sweeter for all of us, but I don't doubt that if we have challenges, you'll certainly handle them with grace and patience...I'll continue to try to figure out how to be more like you in that way. :)

8 comments:

Shannon said...

I think that you have a great Mom! She is a wonderful person. I hope she had a great birthday!
Hang in there Liz..the semester will be over before you know..even if it doesn't feel that way.

LL said...

She is an awesome mom! I've been thinking about her too, and very sadly missed making a birthday call or post (Bug is sick and had his 9 month physical yesterday, the other kids are acting like monsters...)

We sure love you Mom!!

Um, also, what challenges has our family had over the last 6 weeks? I'm up to speed on my own challenges, but apparently not so much on the rest of the family. You up for a weekend call?

Glenn and Natalie said...

I think that your mom is great, and that her daughters are as well! I'm sad that I was so distracted by Emily's cute babies that I didn't talk to you more at the reception Liz! Think you want to come out to NY to releive a little tension once the semester is over?

Shari said...

Forget handling things with patience and grace, just keep handling them with humor! Was so good to see you. You're beautiful and smart, and funny.

somebody's mother said...

Thanks Sweet Pea.

jill kynaston said...

Liz, thanks for that blog. I hardly know your mom at all, but I have always felt that the word "grace" described her well. I'm glad you used that word to describe her. I've always enjoyed listening to her advice to you and LL via her comments on your blogs. She sure has a lot of wisdom. Happy Birthday, Somebody's Aunt! :)

Adam Kynaston said...

Yea for Somebody's Aunt :) You have two folks in Michigan who think you are simply wonderful Aunt and mother :) Congratulations to you on such a beautiful family :)

IzeOfLight said...

I don't know Somebody's Mother, but I know Somebody, and I love and adore Somebody, so knowing the extension of Somebody's Mother as I do, I can imagine she's fantastic. I hope you had a great birthday, Somebody's Mother!