05 February 2009

Victory

I have been attending UVU for almost seven years now. Much of my time is spent in the business building.

For the past seven years, I have been unable to locate the women's restroom in that building. Men would tell me where they thought it would be, but I always explained that that was a men's room with no apparent corresponding women's facility.

During this time, I have been using the staff/faculty women's restroom on the second floor. It has only one stall, and a sign that says that it is not for student use. This fact has not stopped me. I figure that I pay enough to use whatever restroom I please, and have more than once been tempted to even use a men's room when on campus at night.

Tonight, during a break in my Contract Law class, I decided to follow some of the other girls to see if I could find a different restroom. The women I was following/stalking turned out to be headed to some vending machines, and just as I was about to turn around, I saw the lone men's room with no partner. Around the corner from said restroom is the small ROTC hall, usually filled with signs and banners, sometimes actually obstructing the entrance to the hall itself. Tonight, the hallway was clear, and I decided to see if the elusive restroom was located down the hall.

To my great surprise, it's just right there! Not far around the corner at all, in all its glory, I found the mystery room.

However, the facility itself is certainly not the greatest on campus. It was fairly dirty, looking a bit neglected, perhaps from being located so out of the way.

I will probably continue to use the faculty facility, as it is much more conveniently located and well-maintained.

Nevertheless, I found it.

Seven years of college well spent.

8 comments:

Camille said...

My papa used to work right there, just a few doors down from that bathroom, and yes, I have to agree. Sadly neglected.

LL said...

At least you found a back-up loo. 7 years is a loooooong time to hold it...

Glenn and Natalie said...

Finding a good bathroom is always tricky...I say keep using the best one!

Bonny said...

I was always to nervous to use faculty bathrooms. I would be afraid that one of my professors would walk in and yell at me. Then it would all snowball into me getting kicked out of school.


I know. I'm weird.

LL said...

I'm the same way Bonny. I'd be too nervous and picturing myself in prison after being caught. I guess Liz got all the bravery in our family. :-)

IzeOfLight said...

When I was in the business building at BYU, I liked to study in one of the corners of the fifth or sixth floors (good couches there, quiet, and my favorite Carl Bloch painting in one corner on the fifth floor). Sadly, the sixth floor was the site of the faculty bathroom, complete with the "Faculty Only" sign. But whenever I really had to go and didn't want to go all the way to the other end to go down the stars (since they were doing construction on the stairs closest to me and the restrooms), I'd hope I was wearing something professional looking, and I'd go for it, as fast as I possibly could. There was someone working in the MBA office with my same name, so I figured, if someone asked my name, I could use my name, also hers, and pray to high heaven they didn't know the OTHER Laura Thompson. I'm horrible, I know. But I have a bladder the size of a pea. TMI, sorry.

Oh, and p.s., Liz? You need to blog more. Even if that means studying less.

LL said...

Um, completely unrelated but sort of not. By attending the school for 7 years, you've gone from attending a college to attending a University, all without having to rediscover bathroom locations.

Wow, that was pointless. :-) Sorry I didn't call back - garage was a big pain and I went to bed. IOU.

More Bacon said...

True, LL, it's a good thing that I didn't have to switch institutions to be at a university because it takes me seven years to find bathrooms, and I don't have another seven years of attention left in me!

And also, yes, to everyone who thought that it sounded too stressful to use the faculty bathroom. I was always TERRIFIED that someone would walk in and yell at me, and I'm a very rule-abiding person by nature, so it was always a stretch. That's how desperate I was.

But I never got caught.