Since I've become a bit healthier in my eating and lifestyle, my blood pressure has dropped quite a bit. (It used to be a bit high because of medications I was taking for another condition.)
Yesterday, I was donating blood, and my blood pressure dropped. I got all shaky and hot and they thought I was going to pass out and I was there FOREVER before they would let me leave. This doesn't usually happen to me, but I think it's because of my new low blood pressure. Nice. That's a healthy gift that going to keep on giving, apparently.
Of course, I probably didn't eat a good enough meal before, but...
Since it's the holidays, it's a good time to remind people to donate blood. There are local blood banks as well as the American Red Cross in pretty much every city. The blood supply gets VERY low around the holidays because people get too busy.
Don't be too busy to save lives. If you can donate, carve out some time to do it in the next few weeks. Recruit some friends and family members--make an event of it! It's free for you to give, and it helps save lives--it's a perfect expression of Christmas!!
Just make sure you eat a big meal a few hours before you go, and drink plenty of fluids the day before and day of--you can do it!!!
06 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am proud of you for donating blood. Every time I donate blood - or even when I give a blood sample at the doctors office, I ALWAYS pass out - or at least black out for a second or two. I guess I just have a weak stomach. I must admit that it is terribly embarrassing...now I only give blood when it is medically necessary - I guess I am selfish that way!
So you're trying to eat healthier? Nice! Maybe one of these days you might even be brave enough to try one of my green smoothies? =)
i'll be honest: i hate donating blood. thats why i go to africa every few years. that way i can pretend like i want to but i'm just not allowed. how sad!
Post a Comment