I've been listening to a lot of Christmas music on the radio lately. Largely, I really enjoy it. There are some songs I HATE, and occassionally, I hear them on BOTH stations that are playing Christmas music at the same time, so then I switch and get a little NPR for my day. It has actually been really nice.
A few questions have popped up, though, as I listened to these songs, and I thought I'd share them with you. Please, feel free to post comments if you know the answers. I have no idea...
Song: "Little Drummer Boy"
Question: Why would an ox and lamb keep time for a drummer? I know they say that a drummer can't keep good time on his own, but it's got to be better than an ox and a lamb. Is it just because they didn't want to feel left out?
Song: "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year"
Question: Why are there "scary ghost stories" at Christmas time? Is that supposed to be a reference to Dickens' "A Christmas Carol"? I certainly hope so. I can't think of any other scary ghost stories that seem appropriate for Christmas.
Song: "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
Question: Am I the only one who thinks it's truly frightening that Santa "sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake"???
Song: "12 Days of Christmas"
Question: Why are the drummers the LAST thing you give to your true love? I think that a drummer should be the FIRST thing that you give your true love. If it's because drummers are too loud or irritating, why do you then give your true love 12 of them??
Song: "Frosty the Snowman"
Question: In a very old, classic version of this song, it starts out with the words "Happy Birthday!" Why??
More to follow...
13 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
yes, i find santa's voyerism disturbing as well. good point.
I think Frosty says "happy birthday" because he is brand new- it's his first day, the day he was made and came to life. You would have to watch the TV special to be sure. That is where that version of the song came from.
Post a Comment