When I was visiting my adorable nephews in Wisconsin, something happened to my eye. Although I suspected that it was a scratch on my eye, I also thought that I could see something stuck on it. After endless rinsing and drops, I swallowed my pride and made an appointment with my eye doctor. (I like to have fancy people attend to my needs, but I am also cheap, so I try to avoid going to the doc when I can).
It turned out that I was correct--there was debris stuck to my eye. After much reassurance that there was no amount of rinsing that would've removed it, due to the nature and placement of the offending object, my eye doctor had his assistant hand him some forceps. Before I could really have time to object, he told me he'd take care of it.
And then, he took the forceps and peeled the debris out of my eye.
Yep.
Off of my eye ball.
Yes, I had had numbing drops first, but still, when you have to hold your eye open so that someone can come at you with gigantic tweezers and pluck things out of your eye, it's pretty scary.
Fortunately, it only lasted a moment, and the relief was instant.
All in all, it was a successful trip to the eye doctor, and well-worth the copay.
Unfortunately, this event cemented in my mind my preferences for seeing experts whenever possible. When I head to law school, I suspect that my student health insurance won't be nearly as accommodating to my desires.
I'm going to have to work really hard to not get any debris in my eye once I'm in New York. There's no way I'm letting anyone besides my fabulous eye doctor go anywhere near me with forceps.
3 comments:
Remember when we were installing the latch thingy on the door? I remember you getting something in your eye then. Sorry if that was it - didn't mean to send you home with a chunk of door as a souvenir.
PS - I had to look up souvenir because I couldn't spell it...I suck.
You will just have to be super careful in NY.
Be glad it was the eye doctor who came at you with forceps- there is another kind of doctor that can come after you with forceps as well.
Post a Comment