25 March 2014

Headnotes and Giggles

I'm an attorney (that's probably not a surprise to most of our long-time readers, but I sometimes feel like I should loop in new folks).

One thing that I do most days is legal research. There are two main companies who compile all of the case decisions into a searchable database. Both of them are quite expensive, and each has its pros and cons. 

The companies work to differentiate themselves. One thing they do is make categories of what the cases are about, the principles of law in the cases, and make those sortable and searchable.

One company does it in the form of headnotes at the top of each case. These headnotes are generally quite helpful; they serve as a quick description of what the case holds is the relevant law. And every now and then, they're hilarious.

Here's a lovely one for you that I've been giggling about:


CIVIL RIGHTS - Arrest and Detention. Tackling arrestee to sidewalk, without in any way first asking for voluntary submission to arrest, was not reasonable.


Really? That wasn't reasonable?? Good to know! 

Sometimes, it's the job of the courts to state the obvious.

And sometimes, the really, really obvious.