The first in a series
of catching up
Lots of people like to tease their toddlers. Sure, it’s cute
to watch little people scream and cry, right?[1]
So we do it. It’s hilarious. I don’t know if it served some evolutionary
purpose, or if we just like their terrified little faces in response to mundane
things, but we do it.
That being said, we may be scarring the children in our
lives. In fact, I think that’s probably why my generation is messed up. But I
digress.
When I was a tiny child, my family had a favorite way to
cause this reaction in me. My family played the theme from Chariots of Fire.
Can you hear it in your head? Dum dum dum dum dum dum,
(chang chang) dum dum dum dum dum.
I would embed it here for you, but I don’t like it, so I
won’t. Google it yourselves. I’ll wait.
Ready?
So, this song made me panic and cry when my family would put
the CD in. (Dating myself, I suspect this was one of, if not the very first CD
my family owned. We were early adopters.)[2]
I don’t remember any of this. I still hate the song though.
I read a few books this summer that were non-law books, just
to give my brain a break from legal life. One of the books I read was about
music, as therapy, as connection between people, and as it interacts with the
brain, including some strange stories. For example, some people hear music
before they have a seizure. Some people have seizures caused by a particular
song.
Some of those seizures, although measurable in the brain,
manifest only by a general discomfort with the song that is playing.
Just saying.
1 comment:
We did it enough times to enjoy it, that's for sure. :-)
Funny that you still hate the song. Did you hate it when we were all standing around singing it, or is it just the "real" version that you object to?
Note to self: return the Christmas gift you got for Liz. She's not gonna like it.....
Post a Comment