Today as I exited the subway after my ride home from work, I saw an umbrella man right at the exit. Umbrella sellers don't normally just stand out on the streets with their carts of umbrellas, but whenever it rains, there are freestanding umbrella carts that appear as if by magic by most subway exits. It's really impressive, and sort of puzzling because I am not sure who those people are when it's not raining. Are they somewhere else with some other cart? Sleeping? Day jobs? Spider-man? Tough to say.
Anyway, the weird thing about today's umbrella man was that it wasn't raining. It was cloudy, but not raining. We've been in the middle of a horrible, unseasonable heat wave (think 100 degrees, 100% humidity), and the weather forecast said it was going to rain tomorrow, so I knew it was going to cool off and rain a bit, but I was still surprised to see the umbrella man out while it was dry. Then, as I walked home, it started to sprinkle a bit. And about 5 minutes after I got into my apartment (maybe 10 minutes after seeing the umbrella man), it was POURING rain, with big, impressive lightning and thunder. How did he know???
Forget The Weather Channel--the umbrella men have the weather down.
09 June 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We are having that very same heat wave - and now I feel a little glimmer of hope. Rain! Oh I hope it travels down this way tomorrow!
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows... this post reminded me of that song
Post a Comment