Today was an interesting day. It's my sister's 30th birthday today. I spent much of the weekend thinking about it, wishing she were closer so I could tease her about turning 30 and how old she is getting. Of course, I am not too far from 30 myself, but you know...it's a sister's job to tease in these times.
Anyway, my sister's birthday had been on my mind this morning as I went to the subway. Today was a very ordinary day. I had to stop to refill my subway pass (I usually have an unlimited pass, but there have been all kinds of snafus with my pass recently, and I'm in limbo waiting for a new one). After I put more money on my pass, I headed down to the basement of the station where I could get the express train.
I took my usual spot in the station, where I could get in my usual car, and head to my usual Monday. Just to my right was a musician, as there is about 75% of the time for this part of my commute. Just as I stood in my place, I heard a woman scream. I've never heard a scream quite like it in real life before. The musician next to me, who had a drum and some other things, just ran. He just ran toward the screaming woman. I was near the middle of the platform, and the screaming was coming from the front. After a moment, the woman was screaming words, as were others. They began screaming that there was a man on the tracks. Someone raced up the stairs to find a station agent to tell them to stop the train that was maybe 60 seconds away from the station at that point. I looked, and the train wasn't visible yet. The man with the drum reached the end of the station, set down his drum, and jumped onto the subway tracks. Subway tracks are much, much deeper in the ground than they look, so I began to panic that they might both be trapped down there, both the original man on the tracks, and now his rescuer. The rescuer climbed over the third rail, retrieved the little man from between the two subway tracks (one each direction), and boosted him back onto the platform. Then, the rescuer pulled himself back onto the platform. At this point, someone had alerted the incoming train of the situation, and the train just stopped mostly out of the platform, waiting for the all clear. The rescuer and the man he rescued approached where I was standing. The man he had rescued looked very small to me while he was on the tracks, but I figured it was just because the tracks were deep. But really, it was a very small man. A very old, small man, who walked with a cane. The small, old man embraced the Good Samaritan, and they both began to cry together. The old man then proceeded up the stairs, aided by others, while the Good Samaritan paused and began quietly sobbing. The rest of the people on the platform began crying as well, and as the train pulled into the station, people hugged the hero and wished God's blessings upon him.
Then, the train doors opened, and we got on.
Several people got on in the same spot with me, and we talked about what had happened.
I may share more later about other thoughts about this story, but today, I shared the subway platform with an extraordinary man. A man who runs toward someone screaming. A man who jumps onto subway tracks without a second thought. A man who gave no regard for who the person on the tracks was or how he got to be there. And then that man went back to his usual job of singing and playing music, hoping to make a living during the morning commute.
I think my sister would like that I spent her birthday with a hero.
27 February 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I am so grateful to that hero today.
If you aren't familiar with the up-close realities of the subway, instead of the imagery portrayed in books, movies, etc. you can't really appreciate what happened today and all the things that didn't happen today on the tracks and to everyone in that station.
I am just so grateful to that hero.
What an amazing moment to be a witness to. How grateful I am that there are people in this world who are true heroes. Thanks for sharing!
That is so neat. It's those moments that make you realize the world isn't so terrible.
Thanks for sharing.
Isn't it nice to know that for all the horrible things you hear about people doing to each other, there are just regular heroes all around us, quietly living their lives. :-)
That brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for the reminder that there are amazing, brave, good people all around us.
Wow! Holy cow! Wow!
It's like you were in a movie, but this time it wasn't scripted and there weren't stunt men, just everyday people being extraordinary. I'm glad you got to witness it!
That is amazing. Wonderful post about an experience that many will never forget. That is something about the city--so many people always around makes groups of strangers connected by experiences like that when there don't even seem to be words to describe it all. I''m glad you found the words to do it.
Post a Comment